Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 March 2011

To Tick, Tock, Tock, Tock.

Since being with my partner, a self confessed gannet for self help books, I have been presented and  gifted with enough literature to cure a psych ward. I however, am a self confessed  giver upper. If it doesn't work first time around, or doesn't change my life within the first chapter or even the first paragraph, then my brain becomes distracted and Series 3, Episode 4 of Ugly Betty somehow makes it way mysteriously into my DVD player and before I know it the Dairy Milk is being consumed and I have formed a similar position to that of a hand held school time bean bag thrown across the gym hall that has landed on the seat of one of those luminous plastic chairs.

And so, as '5 years time' plays in my left ear, and my bare feet against my bare thighs become uncomfortably hot in my crossed legged position, I look outside of our sash paned window, and after catching the eye of a Lozak* wonder if there will be more to today than previously considered. I live 1 minute away from a beautiful green common on which upon the other side is a beautiful rush of salty air and views of local land and ships and gulls. We actually saved a gull once from the common, it sadly died, along with my enthusiasm to continue my new fad for wanting to become a jogger. 
I am considering perhaps to venture down to the common with a blanket and flask, and bring upon myself a new challenge.. one which perhaps will dare me to challenge my lack of ability to concentrate.... reading.

Out of the abundance of self help books I have gathered over time, I don't recall reading the final words of a single one. 
So, as ELO 'Mr Blue Sky' begins and its toe tapping tempo cruises into my ears, I sit here with a book entitled 'The Journey' (quite relevant don't you think considering my last post). Ms Brandon Bays claims it is ' an extraordinary guide for healing your life and setting yourself free'..
I may be just over 11 years late in picking it up after its first publication in 1999, but the bible is pretty damn old and still seems pretty popular.. I couldnt finish that one either.  

So, .... I'm very reluctant to start reading it,, but I have never finished anything in my life, apart from dinner. I'm not sure exactly what I'm challenging myself to, perhaps to begin to broaden my mind in an attempt to understand and help myself a little bit more than I am now. 

With this beginning , I will furthermore challenge myself to dive into self help books, and post my reviews and opinions and general mind babble on what experiences I get from pursuing something that normally I couldn't give two of my cats litter gifts about.

Starting with Book One 'The Journey', perhaps this could be the beginning of the start of something I could never have imagined myself doing. My insecurities and issues and problems can only benefit from this type of challenge, and by facing it with the start of something new in this direction, I have already made a good start to becoming a healthy and confident me that I so wish to be. 

PrettyCog.

xxx

* A Lozak, is the sister of another Lozak who live in the flat above ours. They have been living here since the dawn of time. Occasionally I will accidently catch eyes with one of them as they leave our building, or even worse, when they are coming home, upon which our buzzer then rings,and if I am alone, all the safety in my soul leaves my body, as I have to answer the door, and become the soul reason why all the gas in our building has run out yet again, and since I moved in this never used to happen. Sometimes I will get told the story of the great fire that happened in the building, some-when, probably back when Jesus was a neighbour, but thankfully I get rescued by my man and I can slide away and they keep on before realising they are talking to a closed door.


No comments:

Post a Comment